Spring 2018 Commencement Ceremony
Last updated Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Thursday, May 10, 2018
Welcome to the College of Law’s official Commencement site. The information presented here pertains only to graduation ceremonies for the College of Law. Please read and bookmark these instructions to answer any questions concerning Commencement and to help make the conferral of your degree a memorable and joyous experience for you and your family and friends. New Fall Semester Graduation Policy.
The commencement speaker will be announced at a later date.
Please review the parking and security information and restrictions.
For information pertinent to graduating students, click here.
For information pertinent to guests, click here.
Free parking for this event will be available in the G-10 and G-16 garages, next to the Thompson Boling Arena. Handicapped accessible parking is available in the G-30 garage.
Graduates must arrive at Thompson-Boling Arena by 2 p.m. and be fully gowned by 2:30 p.m. Please allow sufficient travel time. The College of Law may not be able to accommodate students arriving after 2:30 p.m. The ceremony will begin at 3:30 p.m. and will last approximately two hours. Guests should allow sufficient time to go through security.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, will begin following standard security protocol for large crowds for all commencement ceremonies scheduled May 10-12 at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Graduates, their families, and other attendees should be aware that it may take longer to get into Thompson-Boling Arena and build a few extra minutes into their arrival plan.
Here are some tips to expedite entry into the arena:
- Do not carry bags or purses unless necessary. Guests may enter the arena with one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches
- Carry cameras without bags
- All graduates should wear their robes, but leave them unzipped while passing through security
- Have purses and bags open and ready for inspection when approaching security
Items ALLOWED in the arena include:
- Small clutch purses no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches
- Mobile phones (silenced during the ceremony)
- Binoculars, cameras, and video cameras, without cases
- Diapers and non-medically necessary items for babies and young children, must be carried in a clear bag
- Medically necessary items that must be carried in a specific bag, sized proportionately to its contents
- Umbrella strollers
The following items are PROHIBITED inside the arena:
- Non-clear bags of any size
- Non-clear diaper bags
- Backpacks of any size
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cans, bottles, and coolers
- Outside food, snacks, and beverages
- Open umbrellas
- Selfie sticks
- Unmanned aircrafts
- Large bags or parcels, including backpacks and purses
- Weapons, including pocket knives
- Articifical noisemakers
- Large travel strollers
Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is prohibited inside the arena at all times.
For more information on the security policy, contact the Thompson Boling management office at 865-974-0953.