Career Center Extras
Tips for Writing a Great Cover Letter
How to Write a Cover Letter – The cover letter is probably the most difficult aspect of the job search, so pay special attention to these tips to make sure your letters help you stand out, not fall flat.
Followup is Key!
Stop Squandering Opportunities – Great tips on how to follow-up on contacts you have made so that they might acually go somewhere! Also, see the helpful suggested language for correspondence.
Post-OCI Job Search Ideas
7 Easy Steps if you don’t get an Offer from On Campus Interviews – So OCI didn’t work out? Don’t worry, that’s only the tip of the iceberg for good legal jobs. Here are some tips for where to go from here. Pay special attention to #1!
The Art of Networking for the Business Generation - Here are some good, practical tips for one-on-one and social event networking in the business/legal context. Keep them in mind as you do some networking this semester.
How to Maximize the Potential of Your Alumni Network - An interesting discussion about alumni networks and some tips at the bottom about how to utilize your alumni network effectively.
Advice for your LinkedIn Profile
Advice for your LinkedIn Profile - Ideas on how to take your LinkedIn page from a static profile to an active career-enhancement tool.
We know you have a long list of goals when it comes to law school. The staff of the Career Center can help set you on the right path to fulfilling one of those goals—finding the right job after graduation. We offer resources, career counseling, job fairs, and other services that you can began utilizing during your first semester and continue to take advantage of even after you become one of the college's alumni.
Resources on job-seeking and information about different aspects of the law are available for check-out or in-office reading and/or viewing through the Career Center.
Browse a sampling of the hundreds of legal employers that have recruited from the University of Tennessee College of Law.
The University of Tennessee's Career Services can help you identify part-time jobs, internships and full-time positions through its HIRE-A-VOL system.
Explore the off-campus job conferences in which the University of Tennessee College of Law often participates.
Career Center Information
Policies and requirements related to the Career Center, its mission and usage, may be found herein.
Career-related activities and special events of interest to law students occur in the same time period annually. Browse the outline to mark events on your calendar.
Upcoming Career Center Events
- March 11, 2014Judicial Clerkships: Application StrategiesStarts: 12:00 pmEnds: March 11, 2014 - 1:00 pmLocation: Room 132More details...
- March 12, 2014Virginia Magistrate System - Info SessionStarts: 12:00 pmEnds: March 12, 2014 - 1:00 pmLocation: Room 241Description: The Magistrate System hires entry-level attorneys to serve as Magistrates for various judicial functions in each of the judicial districts of Virginia. There are several districts in very close proximity to Upper East Tennessee.More details...
The representatives will speak about the position of Magistrate, how they hire for these positions, and talk about the timeline for hiring graduating 3Ls and alumni. The recruiters will also conduct informational interviews with interested students.
You can find more information about these positions online: http://www.courts.state.va.us.
Lunch will be served. Please RSVP through the Events tab in Symplicity.
- March 25, 2014Succeeding in a Summer ClerkshipStarts: 12:00 pmEnds: March 25, 2014 - 1:00 pmLocation: Room 132More details...
- April 1, 2014What Do Lawyers Do? Solo & Small Firm PracticeStarts: 12:00 pmEnds: April 1, 2014 - 1:00 pmLocation: Room 132More details...
- April 8, 2014Fall Recruiting PreviewStarts: 12:00 pmEnds: April 8, 2014 - 1:00 pmLocation: Room 132More details...